Friday, March 15, 2024

Grandma Susan and Grandpa John come to visit (written by Buddy)

Grandma and Grandpa on Dad’s side came to visit a couple of weeks ago.  They stayed at the same place as when mom’s folks were up, which had a really fun pool with a boogie board and 2 pool noodles.  The hotel also had a ton of really cool peacocks.  One of them fanned its feathers out and shook them, and it was so cool.  The female peacock just walked away, unimpressed.


On the Saturday after they got to Sintra, we took them to Quinta da Regaleira and Monserrate Palace.  We’d already been to Quinta da Regaleira once before, so we got to show the grandparents all the cool grottos and all the calla lilies were blooming this time.  The walk up to Quinta da Regaleira was easier than in January because our legs had gotten stronger since the beginning of the trip.  It took a long time for us to get an uber to Monserrate, but we finally got one.   I had just had some caffeinated tea at the Quinta da Regaleira café so I was super energetic in the uber ride.



Monserrate had really cool grounds, but the Monserrate castle didn’t impress me though (note from parents: WE were impressed by it).  On the side of Monserrate we met a cat named Lady Byron, who laid down on Evie’s lap, it was really cute.


On Sunday we went to Baixa (downtown) Lisbon for breakfast.  We had our second eScooter ride when we went from the Discoveries Monument to Belem Tower.  We had to go really slow to get around the crowds, and we stopped and looked at a bunch of hats.  Mom bought one, I really wanted one.  Then Evie and I wrestled each other in the grass and had a lot of fun. 

We rode to Cascais where we all went on the Ferris Wheel there.  The only cool thing was that we were really high up and saw the views.  I’m not much of a fan of Ferris Wheels though.  One time I got lost in a store, and when I came out I was like “where’s my parents”.  They came running down the street yelling “Buddy!” and found me.  At dinner we ate at a fancy hotel and I got a burger that was so big I could only eat half of it.  I was not impressed with myself because lately I’ve been able to eat a ton.





On Monday I went to school, and at the end of the school day Grandma came in and did Endeavor Time.  Endeavor Time is when a grandparent or parent comes in and do/teach something for the kids to do.  Like one was about making yerba matte Tea.  This one was making newspaper collages; I made one about dogs.  For dinner that night we went to Taj Palace where I got tandoori chicken.  I ate a few pieces, and I got a coconut drink that I didn’t like.

On Tuesday the grandparents visited Pena Palace and Moorish Castle up on the mountain while we were at school, and after school we got one more chance to go swimming with them.  It was the last time we got to see them before they had to fly home.  I was excited for these grandparents to come because now I knew the city really well and could show them around more.  I was sad to see them leave because I know I have nobody else new to show the city to.




No comments:

Post a Comment